Monday, October 26, 2009

Swine Flu - H1N1 - better to prevent than...

I just received an e-mail on Swine Flu prevention that I understand has been widely circulated (several of the people I know have indicated they have received it). When I first read it I thought, "another one of those" - but, I decided that all the advise in it is doable, simple, cheap and definitely sensible:

-Wash your hands frequently - most important to prevent an array of diseases and infections- not expensive, nor difficult, and as a matter of fact, very refreshing.

-Hands off the face - oops! When I perspire, all that perspires in me is my nose, so this is proving to be harder than the tip above, but I am trying.

-Gargle twice a day with warm salt water - who doesn't have salt at home? not a budget breaking article and very appreciated by most, and in the United States of America, beloved land, there is running water available everywhere. Believe me, it isn't painful at all. Use a brand mouthwas if salt is not ritzy enough.

-Clean your nostrils with warm salt water at least once a day. A great advise from my late father-in-law; what can be bad about it if in addition to prevent Swine Flu will keep your sinuses clear and your head free of pain? I for one, feel great since I started.

Boil water, put about one ounce in a glass container or a cup, add 1/4 teaspoon salt and let it cool a bit; when warm, put some on the hollow of your hand and inhale - yes, you are allowed to inhale!- you will feel good!

Of course, you might choose the alternative: Blow your nose hard once a day and swabb both nostrils with q-tips dipped in warm salt water.

-Vitamin C galore! Fruits, foods, tablets (better if with Zinc). Love fruits! They not only are fresh but help clean up your system and are full of good, nutritious elements.

-Drink as many warm liquids as possible and if you do not add sugar you might experience some weight loss - especially if before and after your meals you have some hot water with a wedge of lime (great to lose weight and keep your breath fresh).

My mother and sister have done this all their life and do not have to fight their weight the way I do; so, conclusion, all tips not only prevent Swine Flu, they also have other positive effects on you.

I suggest we all follow this advise: Does not hurt, is not amoral, is not expensive and maybe after all, we can defeat this monster.

No comments: